Arm Lift (Brachioplasty)
Arm lift is also known as brachioplasty. It tightens loose skin & reshapes the upper arms. It also removes the fat that gives a “bat wing” appearance under the arm.
What Are The Causes Of Loose & Saggy Arm Skin?
- Weight loss – most common
- Post pregnancy
- Post surgery
- Medication (Steroids)
Am I A Candidate For Arm Lift?
You are a candidate for arm lift procedure if-
- You have loose, sagging skin of upper arm with or without excess fat.
- You have lost weight after weight loss surgery but still have some stubborn pockets of fat & excess skin in upper arm.
- You are not happy with the appearance of your arms.
- You feel shy & conscious.
- You can not wear the clothes of your choice.
Benefits Of Arm Lift Surgery
- It creates more proportionate & youthful looking arms.
- You can enjoy wide variety of clothes especially tight fitting or sleeveless clothes
- It will enhance your confidence & you will have a better self image.
How Arm Lift Is Done?
- Arm lift ( Brachioplasty) mainly involves removal of skin & fat from underarm & inner surface of arm.
- The location, length and direction of these incision lines will be dictated by the amount, location & extent of skin laxity .
- The incisions may be completely concealed within the armpits or extended down the inside of the arms in the most inconspicuous locations possible
- After the incisions the proposed amount of skin & underlying fat are excised.
- The skin edges are then tightened & reshaped by suturing together
- Over the period the reduced skin will contract and a smooth & firm contour of the arm is achieved
- Sutures are placed very carefully and cosmetically to minimize scarring.
- We use method of internal suturing( sutures are buried under the skin ) so they are absorbed & need not to be removed
What Is Role Of Liposuction In Arm Lift Surgery?
- Liposuction is used as adjunct procedure to remove the excess fat when there is obesity (excessive fat) with skin laxity
- It is also used to remove the isolated fat pockets in arms.
Types Of Arm Lift Surgery
- It is the treatment option when there are pockets of stubborn fat in arms.
- In this type skin laxity is minimal
- The moderate amount of fat which is present is best removed with liposuction.
- Since skin elasticity is normal it will contract and smooth contour is achieved.
MINI ARM LIFT
- It is used when skin laxity is confined to armpit only.
- The fat below skin is minimal.
- The excess skin can be pulled into armpit & excised.
- It requires a single incision in armpit .
STANDARD (TRADITIONAL) ARM LIFT
- This is used when skin laxity involves armpit as well as extends along arm to elbow like a ‘batwing.’
- This requires one incision in armpit & another incision along the inner aspect of the arm
EXTENDED ARM LIFT
- This is used when there is excess skin along side of chest wall as well
- This condition is mainly seen after massive weight loss patients
- In this the standard brachioplasty incision is extended along the side wall of the chest
Pre Arm Lift Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaluation of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, Antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon if you are taking any herbs, homeopathic medicines or nutritional supplements which need to be discontinued.
- Discuss with your surgeon about your past major illness .
- Inform your surgeon regarding any current illness like diabetes, blood pressure for which you are taking any medicines. Also inform him if you have had any recent illness like cold, diarrhea etc.
Post Arm Lift Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will be given antibiotics and pain killers.
- By evening you can start walking in your room
- Keep your arm raised over pillow. This will help to reduce the post-op swelling.
- You will start wearing tight pressure garment by evening.
- You will have a loose dressing around your arms which will be removed at the time of your first post-op visit on 4th or 5th day after surgery.
- You can start taking bath after first check dressing which is done at the time of your first post-op visit.
- You can return to work within 1 to 4 days after surgery depending upon your tolerance level. There are no restrictions on activity. Your tolerance is you limit.
- You can start light non demanding exercises as soon as you feel up to it. You can start a heavy & vigorous exercise after 3 to 4 weeks.
- There will be some Swelling over the arms which may take three to five weeks to subside
- WEAR PRESSURE GARMENTS REGULARLY.
- For first 3 weeks-Wear 24 hours. You can remove them for bath and put back with seam on the outside.
- For next 3 weeks-Wear 10 to 12 hours.
Note: REMEMBER, ALTHOUGH YOU LOOK BETTER IMMEDIATELY AFTER REMOVAL OF THE DRESSING,IT WILL TAKE 3 TO 6 MONTHS TO SEE FINAL RESULTS.
How Long Will The Results Of Arm Lift Surgery Last?
The results after arm lift surgery will last for long time. But if you gain or loose significant weight over the period of time the result might change. Also your skin will lose elasticity & become loose as age advances. But the subsequent arm laxity will be far less significant than before your surgery.
What Will Be My Arm Lift Scar Like?
The length of arm lift scar will depend upon the type of arm lift procedure. The scar behaves differently in different individuals. In most of the people final scar is hidden along the inner aspect of arms. Dr. Ashish will take maximum precautions to minimize the scarring & make the scar less conspicuous.