A youthful looking brow is located slightly above the orbital rim in females & at the level of orbital rim in males. Normally in females it arches outwards with lateral end or ‘tail’ being positioned at slightly higher level than medial end. The gravity & aging cause drooping of eyebrows, also called ‘Hooding’. This makes our face look sad & tired. Also with aging, changes in muscles of facial expression give rise to horizontal wrinkle lines over forehead & vertical frown lines between the eyebrows & root of nose. Brow lift surgery tightens the skin & soft tissue over forehead & repositions the eyebrows & reduces the wrinkling over forehead.
Am I A Candidate For Brow Lift Surgery?
You are a candidate for brow lift surgery if you have-
- Sagging eyebrows that make your face look sad & tired
- Wrinkles on forehead
- Frown lines between eyebrows
- Asymmetry in eyebrows position
Benefits Of Brow Lift
- Restores eyebrows to more youthful position so that you look fresh & happy.
- Rejuvenate forehead by reducing horizontal wrinkling & frown lines.
- Restores symmetry of both eyebrows.
- Overall makes you appear younger, pleasing & friendly.
Brow Lift Surgery Procedure
There are two types of brow lift surgery. The one that suits you is chosen depending upon severity of eyebrow drooping & forehead wrinkles, your skin type, forehead height & hairline.
- Open Brow Lift :This is also called Coronal brow lift. In this type incision is taken along hairline or slightly behind the hairline. The forehead skin is lifted from underlying soft tissues. After soft tissue & muscles are tightened, the skin is stretched & excess skin is removed. After repositioning eyebrows in desired position, skin is stitched with sutures.
- Endoscopic Brow Lift:In this, multiple tiny incisions are taken in various locations behind hairline. Through these incisions an endoscope ( a tube with light & camera attached to one end) & other special instruments are passed. The muscle & soft tissue under the skin are adjusted to correct the wrinkles. The eyebrows are lifted in desired position & incisions are closed with suture.
Pre Brow Lift Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaluation of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon if you are taking any herbs, homeopathic medicines or nutritional supplements which need to be discontinued.
- Discuss with your surgeon about your past major illness .
- If you or any family member has history of breast cancer ,inform your surgeon.
- Inform your surgeon regarding any current illness like diabetes, blood pressure for which you are taking any medicines. Also inform him if you have had any recent illness like cold, diarrhea etc.
Post Brow Lift Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- After brow lift surgery your head & forehead will be covered with dressing tapes.
- There may be a small drain tube placed under the skin to remove any collected blood & fluid. These tube will be removed in 2-4 days.
- There may be some soreness at procedure site. Pain is usually controlled with pain killers.
- You will have antibiotics to prevent any infection.
- You need to sleep upright for 7-10 days to minimize the swelling over face.
- Some swelling, bruising & numbness is expected after brow lift surgery. These will be maximum 48 hours after surgery & then slowly subside in 5-7 days.
- You can start taking bath after first dressing which is usually done around 3rd/4th post-op day.
- Gently wash your hair with shampoo & conditioner to clean matted hair.
- You can resume your work after one week. There are no restrictions on your normal day to day activity depending upon your comfort level. But avoid strenuous work for 4-6 weeks.
- Remember though you look better after brow lift surgery, the final result is evident after 3-6 months.
Scars After Brow Lift Surgery
The scars after brow lift surgery are generally hidden in hair bearing area or along the hair line.