Fat Grafting for breast augmentation is increasingly becoming popular as an alternative to traditional breast implant surgery. It involves removing fat from areas like abdomen, thighs or back, where it is excess, and transferring it to breast to size & volume increase.
Benefits Of Fat Transfer For Breast Augmentation
If you have naturally small breasts or you have lost volume of your breasts following pregnancy or weight loss then fat transfer is the procedure to enhance the size and volume of your breasts naturally. Once fat survives after transfer it remains there permanently. In a single process fat is removed from the areas where it is excess and used for breast augmentation. It can also be used when breasts are asymmetric.
Am I A Candidate?
Fat transfer is most appropriate for patients who wish small to moderate enhancement of their breasts size. Though large size augmentations can be done with fat transfer if good amount of fat is available, at present it is preferably achieved with breast implants.
Disadvantages of Fat Transfer
- Not all patients are candidates for fat transfer. Slender women may not have desired amount of fat in their donor areas.
- Transferred fat is fragile and must establish its new blood supply at new location to receive nourishment for survival. The some percentage of fat doesn’t survive. So result of fat transfer are not as predictable as breast implants. Percentage of fat survival is different in different individuals and also depends upon skill , expertise & experience of surgeon. In most patients some touch up procedure or multiple sittings are required.
How Long Will My Results Last?
- Once blood supply is established to transferred fat, it remains there permanently. So the results of fat transfer are permanent.
Will The Size Of My Breast Vary With My Weight Fluctuations?
Yes. The transferred fat in your breasts will behave like fat in any other area of your body. So if you put on weight your breast size will increase while if you were to lose weight , then your breast size could reduce.
Can I Exchange My Old Breast Implants With Fat Transfer?
Yes. Nowadays it is increasingly becoming popular and many women are exploring this option.
Recovery After Fat Transfer Procedure
- After fat transfer procedure you can go home after 4-6 hours.
- There will be some swelling and bruises which will take 10 to 12 days to resolve.
- You can resume daily household activities in a day or two. You can resume your work after 3 to 4 days depending upon your comfort level.
- You are advised to wear supporting bra for 6 to 8 weeks.
- You can start light exercises like walking after 3 weeks while heavy exercises can be started after 6 weeks.