Hymen is a thin membrane that is meant to keep out infection in the vagina. Although a hymen is a sign of virginity, it can get ruptured due to non-sexual reasons such as running, jumping or any other form or any other form of athletic activities. Hymenoplasty is a procedure that restore ruptured hymen. Hymenoplasty is requested on personal, cultural or religious reasons.
How Hymenoplasty Procedure Is Done?
If hymen is torn recently and hymenal tags are available, they can be approximated with simple sutures. But most of the time these tags are not available. Then hymenoplasty is done by mobilization of local flaps from vagina and reconstructing a new hymen. Procedure takes around one hour and can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
Will I Have Scarring After Hymenoplasty?
In most of the cases there will be no scarring or any other evidence of surgery few weeks after hymenoplasty. The sutures are self dissolving and taken inside vagina.
Pre Hymenoplasty Procedure Precautions
- During pre-procedure consultation you will receive all information regarding hymenoplasty procedure which will help you take informed decision
- 2. You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaltion of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon about your past major illness .
- Inform your surgeon regarding any current illness like diabetes, blood pressure for which you are taking any medicines. Also inform him if you have had any recent illness like cold, diarrhea etc.
Post Hymenoplasty Procedure Instructions
- Hymenoplasty is a day care procedure. You will be allowed to go home after 4-6 hours.
- You are advised to take rest for 3-4 days after which you can join your work depending upon your comfort level.
- You will need to keep the area clean and will be on antibiotics to prevent any infection.
- You should use warm compresses and ice-packs to ease pain and swelling.
- You can start taking bath 2 – 3 days after the surgery.
- You need to refrain from sex till 6-8 weeks after the surgery.