Liposuction is the procedure to remove fat resistant to diet and exercise. The objective of liposuction is to improve your body's contours & shape. It gives great improvement in inches loss and enhance your looks & figure.
What Should One Expect After Liposuction?
- Liposuction is not a weight loss surgery. The objective of liposuction is to improve your appearance while some weight reduction is by product
- Liposuction does not immediately tighten the skin over the treated area. After fat has been removed, the skin around the area may be somewhat loose. It may take up to 3-6 months for the skin to tighten around the treated area. Some people's skin is very elastic and retracts more quickly than other people's skin. Younger skin tends to have greater elasticity than older skin.
- Liposuction does not remove cellulite, dimples, or stretch marks.
Am I A Candidate For Liposuction?
- If you are near normal weight but there are some stubborn areas of fat which is resistant to diet and exercise then liposuction will remove those fat pockets and improve your shape.
- If you are obese then liposuction can achieve loss of those extra inches to help you to get in to better shape & enjoy changed wardrobe. It will further motivate you to maintain this reduced weight with diet & exercise
- If you are grossly overweight then liposuction has its limits in achieving good results. You may initially require a bariatric surgery procedure to reduce your weight. The liposuction can be then later used to target the resistant fat deposits.
Benefits Of Liposuction Surgery
- You Feel more in proportion and in shape
- Boosts your confidence
- Boosts your personal and private life
- Ability to have wider choice of clothes
- Motivation to pursue a healthier lifestyle.
- A 'kick-start' into a more controlled eating or exercise regime
What Are The Different Problem Areas Which Can Be Treated With Liposuction?
- Abdomen and waist
- Thighs- inner ,outer and front part
- Hips and buttocks
- Upper arms
- Upper back
- Chin (Double Chin), Cheeks and neck
- Chest area- Breast Reduction in females, Gynaecomastia in males.
- Inner knees
- Calves and ankles
Techniques Of Liposuction
- Suction assisted (Tumuscent) liposuction
- Power assisted liposuction
- Ultrasound assisted liposuction
- Laser assisted liposuction
Suction Assisted Liposuction
- This is traditional type of liposuction.
- In this a small cannula is inserted under the skin through very small incision of size 3-4mm.
- The surgeon injects a sterile solution which is a mixture of salt water ( which aids fat removal), an anesthetic medicine( to relieve pain) and a drug that causes the blood vessels to constrict ( to minimize blood loss) into the area that's being treated.
- Then fat is sucked by another cannula which is attached to a powerful suction device.
Power Assisted Liposuction
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL) uses a specialized cannula with mechanized movement ( vibrations).
- PAL considerably reduces the surgeon’s efforts required for breaking the fat layers.
Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction (UAL)
- In this ultrasonic energy is used via a specialized cannula .This energy selectively bursts the walls of the fat cell with no damage to surrounding blood vessels and nerve.
- UAL is especially useful for working on more fibrous areas, like the upper back or male breast area(Gynaecomastia)
Pre Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaluation of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, Antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon if you are taking any herbs, homeopathic medicines or nutritional supplements which need to be discontinued.
- Discuss with your surgeon about your past major illness .
- Inform your surgeon regarding any current illness like diabetes, blood pressure for which you are taking any medicines. Also inform him if you have had any recent illness like cold, diarrhea etc.
Post Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will have some discomfort or soreness for which you will be given painkillers.
- You will have antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection.
- By evening you can start walking in your room.
- You will start wearing tight pressure garment by evening.
- You can start taking bath after first post-op consultation which usually takes place on 3rd or 4th post-op day.
- Numbness/ Swelling :- Swelling will slowly disappear over 6-8 weeks. If mild numbness occurs it will also disappear soon.
- we recommend high protein, low fat and low carbohydrate diet. Please take plenty of oral fluids.
- You can return to work within 1 to 4 days after surgery depending upon your tolerance level. There are no restrictions on activity. Your tolerance is you limit.
- A regular exercise program is encouraged. You can start light non demanding exercises as soon as you feel up to it. You can start a heavy & vigorous exercise after 3 to 4 weeks.
- WEAR PRESSURE GARMENTS REGULARLY.
For first 3 weeks-Wear 24 hours. You can remove them for bath and put back with seam on the outside.
For next 3 weeks-Wear 10 to 12 hours.
Note:REMEMBER, ALTHOUGH YOU LOOK BETTER IMMEDIATELY AFTER REMOVAL OF THE DRESSING,IT WILL TAKE 3 TO 6 MONTHS TO SEE FINAL RESULTS.
How Long The Result Of Liposuction Will Last?
The fat loss due to liposuction is permanent. But significant weight gain in future can result in re-accumulation of fat. So you have to make necessary life style changes. A healthy diet & exercise should be incorporated in daily routine to maintain the results over long term.