Gynecomastia is the enlargement of male breasts. It is also called male boobs or moobs. This condition can affect one or both breasts.
Causes Of Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia develops due to combination of excess fat, glandular tissue and skin in variable proportion.
Most of the times this is a physiological and benign condition that affects 40 to 50 percent of men.
Obese people are more commonly affected due to accumulation of diet & exercise resistant ‘stubborn’ fat.
The other causes of gynecomastia are
- Drugs like Steroids
- Hormonal imbalance due to endocrine dysfunction like pituitory, adrenal or testicular problems
- Systemic diseases like certain kidney or liver diseases
- Adrenal, pituitory or testicular tumors
Gynecomastia Can Have Major Implications On Your Personality
- It can cause emotional discomfort and impair your self confidence.
- Most men may even avoid certain physical activities like swimming simply to hide their condition.
- You develop hesitancy in physical intimacy.
- Limitations in wearing clothes of your choice like a slim fit T-shirt.
- It may be the source of constant unwelcome comments and teasing by friends and colleagues.
Who Are The Candidates For Gynecomastia Surgery?
- Men above 18 years of age whose breast development has stabilized
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- In persons below 18 years it is advisable to wait till they turn 18. But gynaecomastia surgery can still be considered if it is causing psychological distress. In this case parent’s consent is required along with the consent of patient himself.
Benefits Of Gynecomastia Surgery
- The appearance of the chest is more flatter, firmer and better contoured.
- Ability to wear tighter, better-fitting clothes
- You can gain more social confidence
- No need to hide your chest during swimming or gymming.
Grades Of Gynecomastia
- Grade 1 :Small enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade 2a: Moderate enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade 2b: Moderate enlargement with extra skin
- Grade 3 : Marked enlargement with extra skin
What Is Puffy Nipple?
Puffy nipple is the condition in which nipple & areola appear enlarged , protruding & dome shaped. It is due to accumulation of glandular tissue directly under the nipple & areola. It usually requires the removal of tissue through a small incision around areola. This incision usually heals well & leaves minimal scar.
What Is Done In Gynecomastia Surgery?
- Gynecomastia surgery reduces the male breast size.
- It flattens the male chest and enhances the contours.
- Mostly it removes the excess fat and glandular tissue of male breast.
- Sometimes it requires to remove excess sagging breast skin.
- Sometimes it may also require to reduce the size and reposition the nipple and areola ( the dark skin around the nipple).
- It is one of the safest procedure and increasingly becoming popular.
Types Of Gynecomastia Surgery
- In most of the patients combined liposuction & excision is required.
- Liposuction is used for removal of major fatty portion of the male breast through two or three tiny 3-4 mm incisions.
- Excision is used for complete gland removal since residual gland could be further stimulus for gynecomastia. This is done through a small peri-areolar incision( along the lower portion of pigmented skin around nipple).
- Sometimes excision is also required to deal with excess skin .
- In Puffy nipple only excision of the glandular tissue below nipple and areola is required.
Pre Gynecomastia Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaluation of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, Antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon if you are taking any herbs, homeopathic medicines or nutritional supplements which need to be discontinued.
- Discuss with your surgeon about your past major illness .
- Inform your surgeon regarding any current illness like diabetes, blood pressure for which you are taking any medicines. Also inform him if you have had any recent illness like cold, diarrhea etc.
Post Gynecomastia Surgery Precautions & Instructions
- You will have minimal discomfort or soreness for which you will be given painkillers.
- You will have antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection.
- By evening you can start walking in your room.
- You will start wearing tight pressure garment by evening.
- You will be allowed to go home by same evening or next morning.
- You can start taking bath after first post-op visit which usually takes place on 3rd or 4th day after your surgery.
- You can return to work within 1 to 4 days after surgery depending upon your tolerance level. There are no restrictions on activity. Your tolerance is you limit.
- You can start light non demanding exercises as soon as you feel up to it. For heavy & vigorous exercise you will have to wait for 3 to 4 weeks.
- WEAR PRESSURE GARMENTS REGULARLY.
- For first 3 weeks-Wear 24 hours. You can remove them for bath and put back with seam on the outside.
- For next 3 weeks-Wear 10 to 12 hours during night time.
Note:REMEMBER, ALTHOUGH YOU LOOK BETTER IMMEDIATELY AFTER REMOVAL OF THE DRESSING,IT WILL TAKE 3 TO 6 MONTHS TO SEE FINAL RESULTS.
What Will Be Scars After Gynecomastia Surgery Be Like?
- The final scars of liposuction of gynecomastia will be very tiny of size 3-4mm. They will be invisible in long term.
- The final scar of the excision is well hidden along peri-areolar margin ( between pigmented and normal breast skin).
How Long Will The Results Of Gynecomastia Surgery Last?
The results of gynecomastia surgery are usually permanent. However, if you gain weight, suffer from hormonal imbalances, or use certain drugs in future, your breasts may increase in size again.