Vaginal walls are naturally elastic and supple. Childbirth, trauma or aging may cause stretching of vaginal tissues with weakness of muscles. Due to lax vaginal muscles partners may not experience physical sensation necessary for sexual gratification. Vaginoplasty is the procedure which tightens lax vagina. It can also correct any associated pelvic organ polapse and incontinence. It is increasingly becoming popular female genital rejuvenation procedure worldwide.
What Is Done In Vaginoplasty?
Vaginoplasty is done either local anesthesia or preferably under general anesthesia. During procedure separated muscles are reapproximated and tightened with strong suture. Extra vaginal mucosa and external skin are removed. The defect in mucosa and skin are sutured over the muscles. The whole procedure takes around 1-2 hours.
What Is Other Option For Vaginal Tightening?
Vaginal tightening can also be done with laser or radiofrequency as minimally invasive procedure. In this laser beam or radiofrequency waves are used for collagen remodeling. The collagen contracts resulting in tightening of lax vagina. These non surgical methods are used when there is mild to moderate degree vaginal laxity without any associated prolapsed of pelvic organs and incontinence.
Pre Vaginoplasty Precautions
- You will undergo clinical check up, blood investigations and chest x-ray for evaluation of fitness for surgery.
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the procedure.
- Stop Aspirin, painkillers, antioxidants or nutritional support 7 days before the procedure.
- Discuss with your surgeon if you are taking any herbs, homeopathic medicines or nutritional supplements which need to be discontinued.
Post-surgery Vaginoplasty precautions & Instructions
- Keep the area clean and free from infection
- Wear loose underwear and clothes to prevent rubbing
- Avoid sex for a few weeks
- Use sanitary towels instead of tampons for a few weeks